View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 03:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak02 View Post
I didn't have much time tonight, but I checked the resistance of the coil (less than 1ohm) and looked at connections again. I started it and it was more difficult then usual, but did start and idle roughly. I let it idle for a minute or two and shut off all the lights in the garage to see if anything was arcing or sparking. I didn't see anything so I gave it some gas. Within about 20 seconds it backfired out the pipes and stopped running. I tried to start it again, but no dice. It will fire for a split second if I pump the gas, but that's it. I have a hard fail of something at this point, but no more time to work on it tonight. I'll look more tomorrow.

So far I've avoided removing the distributor to check the gear for a reason. My damper doesn't have any timing marks on it so it's hard to get it timed correctly. The last time it was set on the dyno by my tuner. I think I'm getting very close to either doing that or buying another coil. I hate troubleshooting by shotgunning parts. I talked to Mallory and they said they would test the distributor for free, but it would take 2 to 3 weeks. If I pull it I may send it to them for testing. I have a few other things to check before I do that.

Jeff
This may be a silly question, why has the engine got no timing marks?

Who built the engine without reliable timing marks?
How did the tuner know what timing the engine is running?
Did he alter the timing while plotting for max torque through the useable rpm band?

Remove the rotor button and check there is no carbon tracking where it goes on the shaft.

Gold Certified Holden Technician