View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Let's eliminate some mythology. The lower hose has a spring in it to keep it from collapsing because the radiator isn't passing enough flow thru the core. That can happen from size, or being old and corroded. It's a band aid by the hose makers to keep from being blamed when poor maintenance or selection is the cause. It's not their fault, just something they charge extra to keep it in the owners ballpark.

An engine fan for cooling purposes needs to have a 2500 cfm rating to cool the average motor at idle and stop and go. What rating is the fan that got installed? I suspect the first was inadequate. What is the flow rate on the electric pump? It's apparently not circulating enough coolant at speed, either the flow rate or quantity. It might not simply be burped out and completely filled.

All the work arounds are the problem to the simpler solution of using a more conventional fan, fan clutch and normal pump with a factory sized pulley on it. About all it will save is 6-10 hp, using the latest lubricants on the market does that.

There's a lot of "false horsepower" being marketed. It's significant to remember that products are sold because they can be, to make profit. The makers are under no obligation to say it might not be in your best interests. They aren't the engineer for our car, either, WE are. We're solely responsible for the selection and installation of what goes on it, make the most informed decisions you can.

Last edited by tirod; 07-12-2012 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: who's tagging my posts with infomercial links?