View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
It's the unknown problems that are the real nuisance. But ITSTOCK is basically right. Most of our cars are just barely street legal race cars. Seriously, if you can be dissuaded from buying one, then you probably shouldn't buy one. The guys that do the best with these cars have generally wanted them for decades and could not be talked out of them come hell or high water. Conversely, this site is replete with stories, heartbreaking stories, of guys who "kind of think the Cobra would be cool to own," and then they buy one... and the nightmare begins. Seriously, take your time, read every post on this site for the last few years, and, above all, don't buy anything until you've driven one.
My car was not factory assembled like the ones Scaramanga mentioned, but it does illustrate Patrick's point. It was a pure race car until it was retired and converted into a street car. It went through two financially secure owners in less than six months as each discovered it was not very civilized. I've owned it for more than ten years because it is not my daily driver. It is an occasional track car and a fair weather cruiser. I often think it is as practical as a four wheel Harley Davidson motorcycle.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor