View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA, 425 Windsor
Not Ranked     

When deciding on which manufacturer to go with, I narrowed my choices down to ERA and Unique. Both of these guys told me the same thing as mentioned earlier in this thread. "If you don't buy an ERA buy a Unique, and if you don't buy a Unique buy an ERA." Both seemed like solid choices to me, and most important to me, they are both made from scratch here in the USA by coach builders.
I decided on a 427 and after looking at both, decided on the Unique 427. The ERA is of course more accurate, but the Deluxe Pallet price and value of the Unique sucked me in.
Fast Forward to Unique's homecoming. I had already put my deposit in with Alan Weaver for my 427, but after getting to look at their FIA and 427 side by side, I promptly changed my order to the FIA. To me, the proportions and look of the car just flat work.
Side by side, my car and the ERA FIA have some differences, but both are very good looking cars with the correct stance.
The manual that Unique has on-line does not include the build CD or the electrical wiring manual. I don't know how else to say it other than the car was just plain simple to put together.
My car drives well, surprisingly very smooth, in fact much smoother than a new GTR or GT500. At my first Auto X I was right there in the thick of things even with crappy Sumitomo tires, only 4/10ths off a viper with a very good shoe at the wheel. (Past run group champion, but in the Viper for the first time).
Both cars are made very well with good support from the owners of each company. The ERA is more "correct" than the Unique in regards to pedal placement, fuse panel, radiator angle and the trunk. But there are some advantages in a few areas for the Unique. For example, having a removable trans tunnel sounds great until you have to pull your trans. Drops out the bottom of a Unique in less than 30 min. You can't go wrong either way, the people at both companies and the cars themselves are fantastic.

Justin