View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

The ERA owners are doing a great job of vouching for their chosen brand, and rightfully so. Beyond a lot of research and consultation, my experience with ERA is limited to close up visual inspection and photography, but I know enough to say that anyone who has a lot of negative criticism about their product is either misinformed or just plain wrong. If there is anything to consider as a possible drawback against any other quality 'glass replica, its the long wait time and possibly slightly higher cost.

When I was in North America, I had narrowed my choices to ERA and Unique as well, but then I moved back to the Caribbean and a combination of the high import duties (+135% on the cost and freight) and other issues, I more or less gave up on owning a Cobra and decided to bring my currently owned Corvette down which was duty-free as a 12 month plus posession of a returning national.

Well, against all odds, I ended up finding a right hand drive 1988 Unique 427 down here that was partially completed before the owner died in a plane crash and set about negotiating with his widow, a lovely British lady who wanted to sell but had strong sentimental ties to the car.

I ended up backing off but a year later she got serious about selling and gave the car to a local friend of hers to complete and ready for sale. He knew nothing about Cobras and made a real mess of the car, visually, electrically and mechanically.

Another year passed before I finally acquired the car from a second owner who got into hot water with a local girl and her family and needed to flee the country double quick.

The Weavers treated me like family from day one and I did a complete body off disassembly and rebuild using new interior, wiring harness, front suspension, brakes, exhaust and trim. I had never done anything like that before and It was a piece of cake. The car goes together simply and without excessive complication or issues. It is comfortable - contextually - and rock solid on the (mostly bad) road and very easy and accessible for maintenance and any repairs.

If building a Cobra is a challenging and rewarding project in the US, imagine what its like on a little tropical island. The Weaver family and the product itself made a huge difference in both the process and the outcome. I wasn't the original buyer, yet they even check up on me when there are reports of hurricanes or storms in the area.

Both great products with their own pros and cons, but my hands on experience only alows me to vouch with any credibility for Unique Motorcars.

You're in a nice position choosing between these two brands - good luck and enjoy! This is all part of the immense enjoyment of the Cobra experience.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 07-18-2012 at 07:45 PM..