View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     

I have investigated this before and read many things out there, books, systems and otherwise. I think I remember reading somewhere that an OEM application took the average car developer 2 years to calculate everything needed for a near perfect EFI system, and even then, there are always compromises. This is a roomful of computer analyists and engineers from the largest auto companies in the world. Some of this analysis could be grandfathered up from other engines, but the point is it is done and the calculations are taken from real driving situations.

Taking that into consideration, how can an off-the-shelf self learning system compete or achieve near the same results? I serisouly doubt this was done even to half the degree.

Do I think a bolt on system would work? Well, describe what you mean as working. Go to the car show and back - yes, defnitely. If you are happy with "good enough" then you will be happy.
Able to tune it as fine as you want with consistency? Not sure, depends on who you ask. As good as OEM - how could it? No way. Way too many sacrifices would have to be made to achieve a bolt-on solution that would fit on nearly any V8 for example.

I know people who did something similar to what Twin Turbo did, but I do not have the experience to puzzle something like this together. Many people initially do it to save money, but in the end, I believe they have a much more reliable machine.

The new MSD system looks interesting as well..all inclusive like others and looks great, but I am not sure of its short comings either.

In the end, I stayed with carbs - just too many uncertainties for something that really costs a lot of money.