View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default planning and starting

First I want to thank everyone here for being good people. I see y'all being supportive, helpful, encouraging and enthusiastic. On the other forums I'm active on, I see nothing but bashing new ideas, criticizing imperfect welds, even non-structural, and just total negativity.
My real name is Dave, and I really do live on a farm. I'm in my mid-30s, and I've always been a Camaro enthusiast. I've built my own Jeep CJ5 from scratch, and it turned out fine, except it's nothing to look at, and it's now sold.
I believe regular guys have a right to build low-dollar copies of the costliest toys on earth. I believe in building around an idea, rather than just for a purpose only.
I have recently had cause to work on several Ford FE engines, and have found a couple I can have at scrap value.
I'm looking to use an '84-'89 Nissan 300ZX IRS, an '82-'93 Chevrolet S-10 IFS, 15x8 and 15x10 wheels with BFG Radial T/As in 245/60 and 295/50 sizes.
This isn't being built to fit any particular body shell, nor any particular rules for any sort of racing or competition.
This is just how cheap can I put together a road-legal "427" Cobra?
Nearly everything will be salvaged or fabricated, no new aftermarket parts if possible.
I'd like to have it moving around under it's own power within 16 months.
I'm not spending $200 for plans, I'm begging for a few measurements for free. What I can't get, I'll guess at.