View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks! I appreciate the comments, and will try to return the kindnesses.
ERA: The 300ZX stuff is adequate to 60' times in the 1.6s with 3000#, on drag radials, so I'm not worried about that. The 300ZX rear can be had for under $200, and I've experienced it's supremacy to Camaros / Mustangs when taking rough corners too fast. Demand is low. Also, it looks like I'll be starting with a C6 and a 1500-stall converter, so no shock-loading. I don't do "neutral-slams". Worst, this elevation steals roughly 15% of the power any engine would make at sea level.
Bill: Spending $6000 on a body is FAR beyond my budget, and I'm not seeing any for $1500. This car may never get a correct body, unless someday someone wants to buy my rolling chassis. I'm more likely to build a wooden buck, then make my own body. I've always wanted to do that, I do have some experience with fiberglass, an apprenticeship at a boat shop. And with the wooden buck, it's easy to get symmetry and make revisions if needed. Plus doing the deal fits the budget. Let's hope I have a good eye and a good sense of proportions.
G-Pete: That black car is stunning. I love your build thread, but you're doing so many details I wouldn't bother with. I love the Monster Miatas. But there's a truth that you get best results working with what you know, and I don't believe this is the time to stray too far from what I'm comfortable with.
I'm a couple of weeks away from going after the suspensions, but once I get those home I can start laying things out for building the frame. In the meantime, I'll be cleaning my garage and working on the engine. I have a thread on it in the sub-forum for FEs.

Last edited by farmerdave; 07-28-2012 at 08:21 AM..