View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #168 427W 66+K miles and counting
Not Ranked     
Default Dyno Run shows very rich at low RPM but...

...a little lean at high RPM. The pull was shut down at 6000 RPM, didn't go to the usual 6500. It was a club-sponsored dyno pull so no time was available for tuning.

So your help and advice are requested as I am NOT a carb expert.

On the dyno WOT was applied at about 3000 RPM and the AFR was 13; by 4100 RPM the AFR was 10.5; back to 13 AFR by 6000 RPM.

The carb is a 4150 HP-based Pro Systems 750 w/mechanical secondaries. I e-mailed Patrick with the dyno run printout, his advice was:

"The best plate (sic) to jet is really the racetrack. Jet up or down evenly 2 jets at a time and jet for best mph."

I don't have a handy racetrack so I'm doing the best I can.

Over the last week I've been trying different smaller primary jet sizes, but I notice more severe surging at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle with the 72 and 70 primary jets than with the 74's that came with the carb. At WOT it goes great, right up to 6500. I haven't tried a 75 or 76 yet. But I'm wondereing, should I also be looking at the secondary jets and trying some changes there? I haven't done anything there yet with the 84's that came with the carb. Should I try going larger with the primary jets and smaller with the secondaries?

I get lousy mileage and am ok with that if the performance is there. These dyno runs showed 16 less hp than previous runs--on a different dyno--with a Street Avenger, no cold air box, and more restrictive mufflers--but about 40 more lb-ft torque. I was hoping for better power but I'm thrilled with the increased torque.

Should I keep fiddling with the jets or should I be looking elsewhere? Ultimately I know I will probably be heading back to the dyno and spending $$ but if there is something obvious to those of you who are knowledgeable, I'd appreciate it.

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt"