View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO2089, Ford Crate 393 475 Hp
Not Ranked     

Atreyu-
I own a C4 corvette (4th vette I've had) and recently bought a used SPF. Friend has the Z06 and another has a late model Viper. I`ve rented and driven the Z06. Bottom, line all of these cars handle better than my (stock) SPF, but I would not be bashful matching the cobra in a straight line contest against the Z06 or the viper. IMHO, any of the above mentioned vehicles provide more creature comfort, accessories and goodies for the dollar than the cobra.

If that was all I was looking for, I would not have bought the cobra.

Left out of the equation is the `wow`factor. As someone posted above, it`s loud, dirty and hot. But, it`s a car that`s unique, with body styling that`s never going to look dated and no matter where you go, you get thumbs up. When I go to the super market gas station, you name it, people walk up to me all the time and want to talk about it. I dont think owners of the other vehicles get the same attention (maybe the Viper guys). Wish I had the thing in college. I can also open the hood, actually see the engine, and (hells bells) actually have the tools to work on it. Only engine, carb, trans, end of story.

So, having done the big build up, I`m an expat for many years, and I can relate to the cycling home and then going back on assignment. All my cool toys were stateside and added to the anticipation of getting home for a short period of time.

Downside is that during the assignment period all my cool stuff sat idle and unattended to. Fortunately my employer paid for storage of the vette. In this case it was a place in Riverrside Ca, where the engine was started once a month to keep the juices flowing. I was able to have the car delivered and was able to use it during my visits home.

So that`s one item to consider when evaluating whether or not to get a cobra, (or either of the other choices you mentioned for that matter).What are you going to do with it when you`re not home.

It shouldnt sit for 10 1/2 months without being driven. I`d rather not have one of my friends or even relatives tooling around in a 2300/ car with 560 Hp just to keep it drivaable. You also mentioned living in N VA. I lived there for a while, and after about a year, my daily driver was a rattle trap.

If it were me, and as an expat making up my mind on what to do, here's some items I'd consider:
- Take a trip to Joberg and ride in/drive the beast. Look the cars over, decide if that's a vehicle that meets your expectations and if so, what brand .
- Research your storage options in the DC area/ or N VAfor the period that you are away, and how the car will be maintained while you're gone. What are your options in that area for routine Cobra repairs, sorting the vehicle out (a new vehicle will likely require some minor tweaking, used vehicles likely will be more sorted out). Do you want to spend part of your 6 weeks tinkering with the car? As someone mentioned, theres no friendly Cobra dealership down the road, so unless you want to do your own wrenching, you'll need to find a speed shop nearby.
- Is it feasible to import the vehicle to a location in Africa where you can get access to the car for occasional drives, what are the roads like, and will it be safe in that location from theft or vandalism? Insurance?
- If just a 'go fast' machine is what you want, and the import option is not feasible, it might make better overall financial sense and be less hassle to consider the Fords or Chevvys until your assignment is over. Let the $$ pile up.
- Most rental car agencies wil enter into short term leasing agreements. Check into one of these to get cost info for a short term lease of a Corvette or Ford GT. Will be less costly that buying a new vehicle, you wont take the depreciation hit and will avoid the nuisance of having to worry about an expensive toy from 10,000 miles away.

Good luck and best wishes.