View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Traditional auto wiring is value engineered. It's good enough to get out the factory gate and 50,000 miles down the road. The connections are all crimped, never soldered. The connections themselves are rated to survive assembly, and weatherpaks are officially rated at ten disconnects. I'd rate them far less, simply because a 15 year old connector usually breaks first.

Deutsch is rated at 100 disconnects.

Nothing about an auto harness is designed to resist corrosion. Atmospheric moisture will condense inside connectors and capillary action will draw it under the insulation down it's complete length. Immersion will total the car. Nobody buys flood cars because of it.

Those of us who drive cars older than 15 years can recite a litany of electrical faults plaguing us. And the rest of us who drive cars will sell, junk, set on fire and roll down a hill a car with intermittent wiring failures. Add EFI to the mix, and things haven't got better, they've gotten worse. We now suffer from a .25VDC volt drop on a 5VDC computer sensor feed - which can substantially alter how the injectors are controlled.

I drive old stuff, a '66 Mustang for 18 years, a '90 Cherokee the last 15. Factory wiring isn't a standard to hold up to, it's one to avoid. It's cheap junk. It's the major reason why owners sell a car and buy new(er.) Which doesn't bother the factories one bit.