Thread: ADR 3/03 seats
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Zedn, it is problematic. Yes, you require a JIG to perform the ADR measurement, so in my experience engineers have just come up with a shortcut method to check the height with a tape measure.

The approved JIG we use to spec our seat heights is something along the lines of a weighted steel frame test dummy looking contraption.

Best advice just purchase a seat that is known to comply with ADR 3/03 or equivalent regulation. But finding one that fits a Cobra is the challenge.

One of our new prototype ADR 3/03 tested Cobra Seats measures 780mm from the top of seat base to the top of the headrest.

In my experience there are production seats that have been tested to ADR 3/03 that do not meet the 850-860mm measurement when using tape measure. But I have also measured seats that are 900mm+. In my experience the shorter seats have adjustable headrests, the taller seats have fixed headrests. Manufacturers are not always just concerned about regulations, but ensuring the headrest can provide adequate performance for the tallest of drivers.