View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     
Default Cruise Colorado 2012 Day 2

Day 2
Day 2 was a local loop in the Steamboat Springs area. From Steamboat to the town of Kremmling for lunch and back into Steamboat.
We stayed mostly in the valleys and just had to “put up” with rolling hills, forests, lakes, streams and nice sweeping turns that felt made for the cars. A really laid back run.

Al took us through some (relatively speaking) low hilly areas just so we wouldn’t loose the “Colorado feel” of the loop.

A quick stop so our “Leader” could check in with everyone to make sure they were keeping up o.k.

Coming into Kremmling was a pretty straight shot but having the mountains in front of us kept the horizon interesting .

While we were having lunch Al got a road update that showed some construction that would be a buzz kill on the planned second half of the loop so we all opted to retrace a good portion of the outbound leg. Seeing what had been in the rear view mirror on the way over from a head on perspective resulted in it feeling like a completely different road.
We were at a pretty leisurely pace on the way over but the roads seemed to be beckoning for a little more spirit in our driving on the way back. Hearing the call of the Road Spirits AL led a more “accelerated” return leg. What were curves on the way out became one gear down kinks on the way back and 70 mph sweepers got a lot more “interesting” when you’re getting up towards triple digits.
One of the great things about the cruise was the marked lack of traffic. For the most part our only traffic was us. The lion’s share of any traffic we came up behind would pull over to let us get by and continue on uninterrupted. I think it was probably about a 50/50 mix of courtesy and wanting to see all of the cars.

On the unfortunate side the video for Day 2 all ended up on the cutting room floor.
Totally my fault. I didn’t double check the camera and lens alignment when I remounted the camera that morning. Since I didn’t think anyone would want to try to watch the video with a couple of phone books under one side of their chair legs I didn’t include it. Decided to just leave the camera mounted for the rest of the trip so it wouldn’t happen again. Cured that problem but the one remaining will be addressed later.

Last edited by DonC; 08-23-2012 at 01:34 PM..