View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, 428
Not Ranked     
Default Drive shaft issues

Hi EM guys,

I have been building my EM Cobra since the early 90's (don't ask - I have kids)
and I am ready to back it out of the garage, but have one final concern. I believe my drive shaft angle is to steep. I have a 1990 frame and a 1993 body, with a 1966 428 and a toploader (short tailshaft). I am using a narrowed Ford 9" Versaille rear axle (5 link). I sent the axle housing to EM and they jigged and welded the rear mounts to the axle housing and sent it back with the frame. They also installed the removable trans mount to the frame as well. I had a drive shaft made locally here in Tucson.

When the car is raised up on a lift by the frame, the u-joints bind at the trans. This made me review the entire drive line and I believe the angle is to steep. I am using Aldan coilover shocks on the rear-the ones EM spec'd.

It would be helpful if some of you could post some pictures of your driveline if you have the same setup as I do. I have read that the angle is to be around 3 degrees, but mine is much greater.

Since all the work was done by EM, I cannot figure out where the problem is. I am also using the motor and trans mounts listed in the manual.

Any thoughts would be helpful.