View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonalley View Post
Eljaro, That's a serious amount of dismantling. Is there any way I can test for such leaks-e.g. the way you use soap suds on a gas pipe assembly. I know it's suction not pressure but ???
I've gone over all the carb and maniflod bolts to test if any were loose. All seemed fairly tight. If I can I will start the car tomorrow( Monday here) and see if it runs the same. Then I suppose I have no other recourse but to start taking things apart. Thanks all. Jon
if you remove the carburetor you can look inside the intake runner in the manifold and you should see if the manifold gasket is in place or is sticking out one side. Wit a little mirror you may also able to look at the gasket from the side and see if it is fractured or torn. This physical inspection gives you the best indication of the gasket condition.
I had some surprises when removing manifolds and seeing the gasket on some runner just displaced quite a bit.That can be an air leak and is the cause of high oil consumtion.

Also check if your carburetor fixing screws ae not bottoming out in the hole and you not really getting them tight enough.
Also check that the distributor is not interfering with the carb body. I had to grind down some of the intake manifold there in order to fit the dissy.