View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by badvnom View Post
I'm looking for some help and I'm kind of desparate. While I'm reluctant to come out to the public on this problem I've also come to the conclusion I'll need some help.

I bought an unfinished CR kit from the mid 90s in 2008. I contracted with Don Scott to finish it for me originally because he was the "manufacturer" at the time. He went out of business and took me for thousands of dollars. At that time, he recommended to me another builder in Detroit knownas Terry Gatrell. Based on that recommendation, I had the unfinished car shipped to Detroit for Gatrell to finish. Terry has now been fired as my builder due to the loss of his lease and poor business ethics.

I'm looking for anyone to make a recommendation on a builder to take the car to a running roller. Engine is nearly complete but the motor mounts may still need to be worked out along with the transmission. Suspension and rear end are complete. Body has not been set but is close. I'd be satisfied with the car if someone could at least fit the engine and complete the drivetrain so that I could drive it up on a trailer. I'm looking for a builder hopefully somewhere between Detroit and Virginia. I'm able to do the cosmetic work and most of the wiring but do not really have the equipment or the time to get the project running with complete drivetrain.

If you know of someone or a shop who can seriously do this work I'd be forever grateful. Please do not suggest Double Venom, he screwed me on a set of roll bars that didn't fit.

If you've ever had the rug pulled out from under you twice, you know where I'm at on this. Thanks in advance for your help.

Patrick Johnson
Hi Patrick! Wow! I have never heard that about Don or DV as when I was building my CR kit they were unbelievable in helping me with any problems I had. Hard to believe!
Anyways why don't you just do it your self...don't take that in a bad way!!

I have never build a car in my life. Didn't know the first thing about it...but I wanted a Cobra and just followed the manual.
For the drive train I just rented a engine host, most places will drop it off at your door.
I then put on the engine mounts, lowered the engine on the rolling chase, lined the transmission up to the rear differential, put the headers and side pipes on line them up to the side pipe elite, or what ever it's called. The piece that is on the side pipe that connects to the frame just before the back wheels. Well that is what is on the originals CR kits I believe, I didn't have them on mine. My side pipes where custom made.

If you set up that and attach the side pipes, then you should be able to center the engine and line it up to the rear differential.
Than all you have to do is get the drive shaft cut for the distance you need and, give it a little room for any movement. I think it explains it in the manual.

I just followed the info in the manual and it worked out great. I started my CR kit in 2000 and finished it in 2003 and have had it on the road every year since.

It's not as hard as you think it is= but, just do what you can day by day and at the end it will be done and, then you can enjoy it.

P.S If there are no holes drilled for the engine mounts...just line it up like I said and then clamp down the engine mounts so they are flat, re-check everything again to make sure it lines up from the tranny to the diff. Look at it from the front and make sure it's straight then drill the holes for the engine mount.
You could also put the body on with a couple of friends and, see how it looks when the hood is on. I have the oval Cobra carburetor air cleaner on and it sits just fine under the hood with the newer engine mounts.
Well Patrick! Hope this helps you out...if you don't have the manual.....I could maybe scan some pictures for you to help you out.

Just remember...day by day just do something to it and it will be done.
Later.
Gerry.

Last edited by CobraSnake427sc; 11-02-2012 at 06:59 AM..