View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default B&B is fantastic! - Here's my experience...

About 10 years ago, I purchased a very nice, used B&B after lots of research. Way back in the day before the purchase, I went to the Knotts show and talked to all of the manufacturers for a solid day to really do my homework. At the time, LA Exotics (now called B&B - same car and company owner) was one of the largest manufacturers. Even these days at the Knotts Ford shows, there are a good supply of their 20-year old cars running around in great shape.

Anyway, I really liked the B&B frame setup the best because of the cross brace for extra rigiditity. More importantly, I am 6 ft tall, 210, and have so much legroom that I can stretch my leg out completely straight when the clutch is depressed. They mount the floor under the frame for a few more inches between the wheel and my lap, otherwise my legs would rub the steering wheel. Go figure, being able to fit inside is a significant plus!

The car is completely reliable - I have never had a problem with ANYTHING mechanical, structural, electrical, cosmetic...litererally nothing. OK, a little knurled steel knob vibrated off of my VDO odometer reset, big deal. I also put on a little larger front disc brakes and 4 piston calipers as they help on the california freeways when people stop short in new cars with ABS. My car has a built 302 and my mechanic says it actually runs too cool...mostly 175 degrees.

The car corners totally flat without needing swaybars. The body is flawless...I have one of the early gelcoat color cars...and there is no gelcoat cracking or fading (w/ clearcoat and wax.) Everywhere I go, I get compliments on it. Last week a guy in a new Ferrari waved at me, haha. But the biggest kick I get is when the bikers all give me the thumbs up because I also ride. This car is every bit as fun as riding my motorcycle.

Bryan was kind enough to speak with me before my used purchase back in the day, and now again years later, when I very recently ordered a few different accessories from B&B. The parts are all in stock, will be here in a couple days, and are competitively priced. Their follow-up service is stellar. To those thinking about a brand of roadster, please know that parts and service (and advice!) after the sale is very important - and 10 years later, they are still here, kind, helpful, and professional.

My education is in both mechanical engineering and transportation design and I have experience in OEM automobile product development. There are lots of brands out there, some good, some not so good. The most important parts of a kit car are the frame and the body in my opinion, as the buyer determines most of the rest of the specs. Consequently, I would recommend a B&B without hestitation.

I'll try to attached a cell phone foto from the coast in Redondo Beach.
Attached Images