Old 11-21-2012, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2019 (sold) - First Factory Dragonsnake, Ford GT
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsel View Post
The internal build records for 2019 list it as a PR car, 2248 has no notations at all beyond the costs, 2357 is listed as "Cobra Drag Car," 2427 is headed "Build Dragon snake for Richard Guise," and 2472 says "Build Hugas drag car." The 3198 record calls it a "Cobra Drag Unit."
Ned, I'm in almost total agreement with what you're saying except for this:

1. CSX2019 was initially built as a PR car but was invoiced by the factory as a "COBRA drag car" (see the attached). I also have a complete and detailed list of all the modifications made to it by the Shelby team under Leonard Parsons (some of those specs are attached - I can post the rest on the new website).

2. CSX2248 may not have notations on the invoice, but in my conversations with Hans Schmidt who bought and raced the car as "El Cid," the car was specifically ordered as a drag car, complete with scattershield and M&H drag slicks. See SAAC Registry - Dragonsnake 2248. It's possible Hans ordered the car before Shelby started advertising drag cars as Dragon Snakes. I'll have to dig through my pile of drag racing magazine to find the date of the ad.

3. As you've indicated, the remaining four cars were invoiced as either drag cars or drag units. And all were ordered for drag racing.

What bothers me with CSX2416 isn't so much what's missing on the invoice (such as the word "drag"), but what's included. As everyone knows, in drag racing, weight is the enemy. Every pound counts. So what dimwit custom orders a car specifically for drag racing with the following options:

Front grille guard, $24.00
Rear bumper guard, $ 30.00
Exhaust pipe tips, $7.00
Wind wings, $16.00
Sun visors, $13.50
Heater, $66.50
Radio and antenna, $45.50
Sway bars, $104.80
Polished mag wheels, $390.20

... then decides not to order pin-drive wheels with M&H slicks and the mandatory scattershield. And maybe a Sun tach. All of which were on Shelby's options list. The guys who dragraced Cobras back then all knew that the combination of 350+ HP and super sticky slicks quickly made mincemeat out of splines.

You mentioned that the handwritten accounting ledger states "Prepare Frye's Ford Drag Car." I'm assuming that's when the car was sent back to the factory for a repaint. According to the Registry, the Cobra was originally sold to Pete's Ford, who later changed their name to Frye. Any idea what's on the original 2416 ledger, or is that the only record there is?

Incidentally, CSX2472 also came with a heater and radio. Go figure!
Attached Images

Last edited by Hal Heindel; 11-25-2012 at 04:02 AM..