Old 11-21-2012, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2019 (sold) - First Factory Dragonsnake, Ford GT
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsel View Post
That is not in the registry; it is based on the various pieces of factory paperwork I discussed earlier. As for the paperwork on 2019 you illustrate, I agree the car was sold by Coventry as a drag car - which we knew it was - however the factory build sheet does not make any reference to it as such, nor was there an invoice from Shelby American to Coventry Motors that we have found that calls out exactly what equipment was on the car when it was first sold.
CSX2019 has been well documented as to its history. Because the car began life as a PR car and was eventually converted by Shelby so they could race it as their first factory Dragon Snake, it had to be sold to Randy Berry as a used race car. How many build sheets would you say get produced for used race cars?

The car had to be sold through a Shelby dealer (Coventry) but was negotiated for, and air freighted directly, to Randy Berry. I have no idea what Coventry sold the car as. All I know is that it was "invoiced by Shelby to Coventry as a drag car." And I do have documentation from Randy (and the handwritten note from Leonard Parsons, Shelby's Production Manager at the time) of the drag mods.

But this isn't about CSX2019. It's about yet another barn find. I'm not stepping ahead of SAAC on this. Until the Registry is officially updated, the shelbyford.com website will continue to reflect what is spelled out on page 385 of the current World Registry:

"In the final analysis, there were five small block factory Dragonsnakes built. Two were Shelby's team cars, CSX2019 and CSX2357. The rest (CSX2248, CSX2427 and CSX2472) were the result of buyers taking Shelby up on their offer to build and sell complete, turnkey drag cars."

Last edited by Hal Heindel; 11-22-2012 at 05:35 AM..