Old 11-22-2012, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2019 (sold) - First Factory Dragonsnake, Ford GT
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsel View Post
Hal, the website is yours to handle in any way you choose. If you prefer to wait until the data is revised in the next registry, that is your call.
Fair enough, Ned. That revision may take a while, and I'm not convinced we'll ever see another Shelby World Registry. Having assisted in the publication of the last one, I know first-hand how much work you and the other registrars have to put into this thing before it can be published.

For what it's worth, here are my criteria for including a car in the shelbyford.com website, starting with how the factory defined a Dragon Snake (quoting from their advertising):

"The Dragracing Division of Shelby American's famous Competition Department has been working for months on the strips of Southern California developing the fastest production sports car to ever hit the quarter mile lights. These special new Dragon Snakes are now in limited production and available to qualified serious competitors. These special lightweight roadsters are equipped with a specially built 289 Ford dragracing engine, slicks, wide base wheels, hardtop, and specially set up suspension."

SAAC, on page 385 of the World Registry, defines Dragon Snakes as "the result of buyers taking Shelby up on their offer to build and sell complete, turnkey drag cars."

Shelby and SAAC both describe Dragon Snakes as complete race cars set up by the factory for sanctioned quarter-mile events, not for stoplight drags down Main Street. The way I see it, the distinguishing feature of these cars is not the type and horsepower of the engine installed at the factory, but the slicks and wheels and suspension that made them suitable for the strip, and unsuitable for the street. The things that defined them unequivocally as a factory-built drag race car.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Last edited by Hal Heindel; 11-22-2012 at 09:26 AM..