View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Mk3.1 / 347
Neutral     
Default Anyone up for a Rt.66 road trip this summer?

I'm planning on making a Rt.66 road trip from Chicago to LA and back this summer and wanted to send an open invitation to anyone who'd like to join in and caravan with me. The plan is to take six days or so to make the trip from Chicago to LA, then four or five days to return via a more northerly route along I-80 (with a dip into Colorado).

Along the way, I plan on stopping at many of the traditional Rt.66 sites, but I'm going to throw in quite a few car-related ones to make it interesting, including the old Shelby factory on Princeton Ave. in LA, the Kirkham factory in Salt Lake City, the Bonneville Salt Flats, and the Shelby American Collection museum in Boulder (hence the different route home).

It can certainly take two weeks or more to go just one way on the old road, since around 85% of it is still driveable, so my plan is to just drive selected portions, then use the Interstates to keep on-schedule. I don't plan on staying in chain hotels or eating at McDonald's, instead it will be vintage motels and small town diners the whole way (at least on the way out).

I'm really looking forward to some great sections of the old road, especially those in the Ozarks and between Seligman and Oatman, AZ.

For those who are musically inclined, I'm planning on hitting the Fender guitar factory in Corona, CA and taking a factory tour and checking out their "design experience," where visitors can select all the parts for a guitar that they then assemble and ship to your home - what a cool souvenir that will make!!!

The plan is to do this sometime between late-June and mid-August, likely departing on a Thursday and returning to Chicago 10 - 12 days later. No pressure to stay together or do the same thing each day - having our own cars will allow everyone to make whatever side trips they're interested in. It would be nice, though, if we could all meet for dinner and lodging in the same town each evening, though, but those who want to straggle behind or jump ahead can always do so while catching up with the caravan the next day.

This sort of trip will give everyone some flexibility, while at the same time offering the safety of numbers and the security of having others around in case of car trouble. I'm sure many will consider taking this trip in their Cobra, but I'm leaving the FFR home for this one (if it's even done by then) and taking either my diesel Passat daily driver or the replacement track car I'm hoping to buy in the spring.

Reply here or PM if you're intersted in joining the clan on their great migration along the mother road to the promised land of California (sorry, a little to "Grapes of Wrath" there). Hope to hear from some of you soon!

Last edited by CCRsAC; 01-03-2013 at 12:50 PM..