View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 11:48 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AManCanDream View Post
Hey guys.

I've been dreaming about a Cobra for a little while, and though I'm still years from getting one, I've learned a little bit about what's on offer out there. I came to understand the difference between quality replicas, which were authentic outside but more custom underneath, and the remakes, which in my mind are authentic underneath and then if there were any differences they made themselves known further out. I am interested in a remake.

Originally I liked the ones by Superformance. The endorsement by Shelby himself said to me that they were a quality remake inside out, but after some research I found out they used the more popular rectangular chassis instead of the authentic 4 inch tube. By my understanding that's like having something that is almost a genuine Cobra, but the very heart of the car is the opposite of what was supposed to be there, and that bothers me.

I'm going to say now that the Cobras by Superformance and Backdraft are obviously stunning creatures, rectangle frame or tube. Anyone who says otherwise is probably working on a completely different set of standards. They're just not the creature I'm looking for is all.

By my picky attitude the chassis and the suspension are the first things you start off with so it's important to me that they are the real deal. Everything that comes after that, body, interior, transmission, becomes gradually less important. Basially I don't care if it looks different on the outside so long as it's genuine on the inside. Funny how I work right?

So my question is who does Cobras with the genuine tube chassis and suspension used by the originals? I understand that Kirkham do the real deal, and Shelby American is sort of a given. Factory Five give a good account of the original I'm told. Python uses the tube chassis but it's different from the original.

Can anyone shed some light for a dreamer to follow? Thanks!
Question back at you, what is your budget like, be realistic so we can guide you further.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS