View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I use Evans coolant in my BMW K1200S sportbike. Great stuff, no problems and it does the job just fine with all the added benefits discussed here. Made a trip to Lake Tahoe over the summer, about 250 miles and it was one of our hot days @ 93F on the coast. Elevation change went from 200 ft to 10,000 ft, the bike never overheated - temps stable as a rock and the fan only came on intermittently when I was at a stop. One of those stops was for about 20 minutes in Sacramento where an accident screwed up the through traffic, the temp there was 108F (bike has an outside temperature sensor), fan kicked on for a couple of minutes and then kicked off - did that about 6 times then I was on the move again. My ECU does adjust for elevation from Ox sensor data, but not much can be done about compensating for the air cooling in thin air. The bike ran like a champ all weekend long between 6-10K elevation. One of the most memorable rides I've had on that bike was that weekend and when I blitzed up the backside of the mountain (NV valley) up to my timeshare which is ~300 ft ABOVE the base of the Heavenly Valley chair lift. That is super highway asphalt and a straight climb from maybe 5K to 9K in elevation, and in about 10 miles. No traffic and I was hauling ass, speedo showing anywhere from 70 to 110 mph all the way up to my turn off to the timeshare - again, no heat issues at all. I asked the guys at the performance shop where I bought the stuff if they've had any experience with Evans waterless. They said yes, they track a 4-cylinder inter-cooled turbo charged dodge which had heating issues on the track - until they switched to Evans. The steady-state operating temperature is a little higher than normal coolant, but the beauty of this stuff is that once you're there, that's where it stays within a very narrow temp envelope no matter how hard you load the motor, and with no pressure build up or boil over risk.

I'm totally sold on the stuff (NPG+c), and intend to use it in my aluminum DART 427w from the start. If anyone has had problems - then it's possible (I say Likely) that they failed to perform proper flushing of the cooling system with the Evans flush before loading in the actual Evans coolant.

Your motor, your money - do what you want. I'm just sayin', all else being equal and with no pressure/boiling, corrosion or future flushes, the extra $$ now will pay for itself later. I personally can't justify using anything else now that this is available.