View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Rouge Iris AC speaks to in its color options of the late fifties and into at least the early sixties was also called Light Maroon Metallic, ICI Reference Number: P151-R840. My efforts to track down a current reference to the color ended with this:

Ditzler PPG 50011, DuPont 91-6986
84 Iveco 50011 IC141

The color corresponding to the Ditzler, DuPont and Iveco codes is similar to Rouge Iris. Where Rouge Iris carries a metallic, the modern color relies on pearl to give an impression of depth. As hard as the owner of CSX 2258 worked to repeat the original color, the close approximation possible with the modern formula is good enough for me. I asked Mike the formula he used. His reply: "It's a Ford color."

There is a 1964 color Ford applied to Mustangs and several other models: Vintage Burgundy. The AC reference to 'Rouge Iris' predates the Ford color by several years, perhaps as much as a decade. I believe Vintage Burgundy is a metallic. If so, it may be closer to the original than the Ditzler, DuPont codes I quote above.

To my eye, a pearl component better traces or 'reliefs' the subtle, compound curves of the original Cobra roadster. This is a personal preference. If you go the extra mile needed to resurrect the original AC color you will be at least as satisfied with the outcome as I am with the modern approximations. And you will have achieved historical accuracy, a goal that was not important for me. Keep in mind though that neither Mike McClusky nor PPG are talking...