View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 01:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ok, less useful info now...

yes i know what a cobra is, i've seen them in real life as I said i went up to brisvegas and spoke to harrison and drb. I spoke to the local club about this time last year and was able to look up close and talk to a couple of owners. I even spoke to engineering signatories prior to meeting them and my general thoughts from their replies were confirmed by club members. Apparently the good one is likely to retire shortly.

Yes i don't own tools, I also don't own a garage, these can and will be fixed. I've been looking and ranting about building my own car for the last year and am making good progress to get toward it, by about july/august I should have if all goes to plan, got the garage etc sorted and about 40-50k to start the project. I've even looked at renting out garages in order to start this, however i decided that probably wasn't such a good idea because then you can't work on it whenever you feel like, and if the project takes longer then you still got to pay rent on it. So motivation for the project isn't an issue.

I am aware that 90% of my requirements can be met by a cobra, I can put on a roof, i am able to buy a kit that has abs or air/con options if I desire and budget allows, and there's always the option of a Daytona for the roof/windows thing. I'm also aware that cobras tend to be fairly stable in their resale value and that I'm likely to spend more building it than buying a ready made one. Obviously one should do as much research as possible before embarking upon such a venture, which lets face it, is the reason I came here asking you lot for advice. I'm even planning to go visit shelbyfest to see more of these in the flesh and talk to owners/builders face to face and get as many ideas/feedback as possible. Before embarking on a likely 2-3 year $60-80,000 venture I kind of want to know what I'm getting myself into. So I ask again, why is it not recommended for someone without a mechanical background (although I have had minimal tooling experience in school and have several mates that can help with various things including my grandfather a retired tractor mechanic, which i'm hoping to be able to rope into helping me every so often to get massive advice and spend quality time while i have the chance).

PS did look at getting an MX a year or two back :P