View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Steve View Post

I'm quite lucky in NZ - there are no import restrictions or import taxes (other than the blanket GST of 15%) as NZ doesn't manufacture cars locally. The compliance regs for "scratch built vehicles" as they're classified here are quite liberal. The certifier in my area is a great guy, keen to see the car and help get it through.
That's great news Steve. The import regs in Oz are a nightmare to negotiate. Yours sound an uncommonly common sense approach, something unheard of in our strangled bureaucracy. I've never figured out how importing a Cobra, an Individually Constructed Vehicle in Aust, into the country (and let's face it, how many units per year would be brought in?) can be construed as a threat to our mass Commodore and Falcon market.
Good luck with the build, even if it is by remote control. Be guided by the advice you're receiving from the American guys, especially blykins. They've been there, done that. Keep your certifier in the loop and it should be a pain free exercise.
Would you be prepared to post pics/updates of the build over on the Australian site? Many of us would be really keen to see the whole process unfold.