View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Bob - well this is just wierder and wierder.

I used my test light to get power from 27/54 and hooked a wire up directly to the light. The test light was flashing away up under the dash but nothing was happening with the turn signal. The back one is flashing. I did notice that the flasher, flashes a little slower when on the pass side than when on the operating driver side but when I put the test light on it and it is flashing, it speeds up to match the other side.

Next I switched bulbs from side to side - no change.

Then I unhooked the green wire and put my meter in the circuit to the light. I was getting 12 volts and it was fluctuating between 12.1 volts and 12 volts with the flasher. The filiment still not lighting.

Then I used my test light to get power from the yellow wire at 27/54 with the driver side flashers on. It flashed the same as the pass side.

Then I used my meter to check power on the pass green lead at the light with the turn signals off. I was getting a steady 12 volts.

Then I used my meter to check power on the driver side yellow lead at the light. I got 0 volts with the flashers off and 8 volts with the flashers on.

It seems like the green lead is getting backfed with power from someplace. Why the light filiment doesn't light up I can't understand. It seems it should be lit up all the time. Both filiments worked on the other side before I switched bulbs.

Maybe there are two problems - lack of continuity in the light and a short in the circuit??????

On the missing ground - it looks like the black ground wire is there but it runs uninterrupted from the headlight into the harness. It comes out of the lead from the headlight unit, runs exposed for about 3 inches and then goes into the wrapping for harness 51 that runs up around the radiator frame to the black wire at the 3 pigtails.

I could cut this wire and spice a leg down to the park light bezel if that would make any difference. Maybe the pass side light is getting backfed through the ground I ran to the driver side bezel.

I'm baffled - not having as much fun as assembling something.

Thanks

Last edited by DanEC; 02-18-2013 at 08:48 AM..