View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnips View Post
thanks again everyone. id prefer a local manufacturer to an import as hopefully they'll know more about local regulations etc and will get it on the road easier. Have spoken (briefly) to craig from absolute pace and his idea for final completion costs is 20k higher than drb or harrison said. I'm guessing this is due to the use of entirely new parts rather than refurbished ones or ones taken from a donor vehicle. But I was half expecting the 60k to end up being 80, but that'd then mean that 80 is likely to blow out to 100, and that's a LOT of coin, not that 60 isn't mind you.
As I think I might have mentioned, my Pace 427SC is being built to a rolling chassis at the factory. In addition to the $30K kit, I have budgeted $40K for all the parts including the new 6.2 LS3 crate motor and trans. That figure includes $2K for engineering, registration, $2500 for trimming and also includes $5K for ancillaries. The cost of paint is on top of all this, but I own a bodyshop and I'll be painting my own car. But factor about $12K for paint if you're not doing your own paint.

So that's roughly $82K plus (your own) labour to build the car. I seem to recall that Harrison said it was about $65K to complete one of his cars. I realise that it is about $17K more, but all my parts will be brand new, I'll have an alloy chassis that doesn't need painting/powdercoating, and there will be next to nil bodywork required prior to paint.

Have heard the Harrison's need bodywork as well as relocation of the body as sometimes they're not centered correctly (or something like that), and having personally worked on/painted a DRB, they definitely need lots of bodywork. So you also have to factor the value of your own time and if you're not skilled in bodywork, you'll make a mess of your $60K car.

Two big reasons I went with the Pace was the alloy chassis and the quality of the body. I had no problem spending more for that.