View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 11:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder View Post
Also Turnips, just bear in mind that every cobra chassis and body is hand made. Regardless of who made them (even Shelby himself, I'll bet) they will all have little quirks and bits and peices that aren't quite right and need correcting. Or things that you don't like and want to do slightly differently. Or just stuff you want to adjust to suit your application.

IMO you should think of it like putting together a jigsaw puzzle that doesn't have all the bits cut out yet, and has bits missing - you are going to have to use resources, your skill and experience and make it work. It is NEVER straight forward. And thats half the fun
Absolutely Ryder. Plus the current owners on the forum are great resources for info as well.

I just wanted to add to my earlier post that there are Cobras that have been painted by their owners and the jobs can look great. But most usually, the guys doing this work have had prior experience in working with panels, especially fibreglass ones, so it's not new to them.

You having no experience, I would simply suggest that trying to do bodywork and paint on a complete car is a lot to chew for your very first go at something. And if you muck it up and have to get a pro to rectify things, your mistakes will actually end up costing you way more than if you gave it to the shop in a virgin state in the first place.

The colour choice shouldn't be limited to your abilities. If you want a Cobra in metallic blue with white stripes for example, have it painted that way. In this regard, you'll get the car looking like it does in your head!

The other benefit to having a pro do the work is that you'll get the car back faster, so you can enjoy it sooner.

Last edited by Paintwerks; 02-20-2013 at 11:52 PM..