View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Some of your goals are probably going to be hard to meet in any one make of car at $35k. I would definately be looking at buying a built car versus trying to build one. If you like the build process (I do) that's the way to go but there is no way you can build a kit for close to what you can buy a completed car on the used market. And most ot the used cars are extremely well maintained with low miles and can't hardly be distinguished from new except for maybe a little road rash. Build a new one and drive it a couple thousand miles and you have basically the same thing except for singificantly more money.

A used ERA is a very authentic looking car, inside and out. It is significantly changed in frame area which makes it very strong but a little heavier. I'm not sure I have seen a 427 model equipped with anything other than a big block FE motor so that is what you would likely get. Most ERAs seem to be factory assembled although some of us do our own build. You will probably have to increase your budget some to get into one.

For some track work the FFR car is said by many to be one of the best when set up right. The new Mk IV cars are a lot closer to appearance of the originals in several areas. They are all individually built so quality is going to depend on the skill of the builder. The same thing goes for originality - depends on the builders approach. For your budget if you look around you should be able to find an extremely nice car for the money.

Superformance cars are all facory assembled so if well maintained any example should be reasonable well sorted out. They are good looking cars and reasonable faithful to originals on the outside and interior - not as close as an ERA but only a Cobra guy would know that. A lot of them are equipped with 351 based motors but some FE and 429/460 engine examples turn up. Again you may have to exceed your budget to get into one.

Unique is another car you should look at. The interiors are not typically as true to the originals as ERA but the bodies are close and they all have IRS and many are built with FE motors. They are an older, well established maker with a great reputationn for quality. They can usually be found on the used market for a little under ERA and Superformance I believe.

Many other nice cars out there also from other manufacturers. You will just need to do your homework and ask questions. Visiting a large Cobra show would obviously give you an opportunity to compare models.

It's hard to compare a turbo Subaru car to a high HP Cobra. Your 4WD car will probably launch better and run a quicker 60 second time over a typical somewhat traction-limited Cobra. But the experience will be completely different. I assume the Subaru is quick but smooth and controllable. A high HP Cobra, like any 60s era based car, is anything but. It will be loud, smelly, visceral, explosive and when run hard, on the verge of being out of control. My Cobra's not streetable yet so some of that is definately second hand but some of it is also based on my 66 L-88 motor Corvette.

My 2 cents worth

Last edited by DanEC; 02-23-2013 at 04:44 AM..