View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: v10 ford
Not Ranked     
Default Dry Lakes Racers Australia

Went up to Lake Gairdner here in South Australia as the annual Speed Week event was held by the DLRA from monday to friday. Well I had to go and have a look as its in our backyard and this year the lake was bone dry (been wet the last two years).
400 km on tar and 150km of dirt didnt stop 300 entrants and about 1000 beer drinking happy campers enjoying the friendly flies and 35 deg heat. People come to see a rock in the middle of the desert but that cant compare to a flat white lake that is bigger than the eye can see.
The salt is so hard they use battery drills to drive self tapping roofing screws in to hold the tarps that are required under each vehicle.
Entries ranged from 110cc postal bike (81mph) VW beetle (124) F100 p/up (184) Kombi VW (117) Lexus/Mx5 (180) E type (145) etc. Special mention is 68 monaro 200mph 50 R190 international prime mover (145) and a VS dunnydore named Bronze Aussie 209 and 250. Times are subject to confirmation/classes. Sorry no photos from me (too busy talking and looking)
Website Dry Lakes Racers Australia - Home Page will have pics posted soon.