View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
My frustration comes from the struggle each time to fit the back 2 header pipes each side of the FE which are very close to the footboxes (2 hours to fit 4 ARP bolts and the gasket). Are there any clever ways to do this? A friend of mine told me to jack the car and work underneath it. I so hate doing this.
I was lucky in that I only had to remove/replace mine one time after discovering I ordered the wrong gaskets. The very back - lower bolt on the driver side was easiest to get to on my ERA from the open transmission tunnel area. Your car my not have that capability or you may be well past that in your assembly. Our primary pipe bolt holes are slotted and I usually installed the lower bolts loose, slipped the pipe on and then thread the upper bolt in. Easier said than done however on the rear pipes. I kind of have a little advantage in that my hands are not large. I think I also used an ignition set wrench from Sears until they were snug. They are much thinner and shorter for tight areas. They are left over from the days when everyone had points in their distributors - but hey, that's still me. But I had to get a full size wrench on to give it the final tightening.