View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

A few months ago I received my new KC482 Pons Sideoiler block with the new forged crankshaft.
After assembling the engine and installing it in the car I was surprised at the low oil pressure I was getting.
I drove the car for about 30 minutes do do the break in and when hot at idle oil pressure would come down to less than 20 PSI with 20-50 Oil. This being a new engine I knew something was wrong.

I drained the oil , removed the oil pan and found one bolt from the oil pump cover laying in the oil pan and the other 3 bolts of the Melling HV oilpump could be undone just with the fingers.
Luckily the oil pump is submerged in oil, so it did not take in air, but some pressure was seeping out of the cover.
I took the oil pump cover to have it shaved flat and installed it with the bolts tightened at 19 ft/lb torque using red locktite .
Pressure is now 40 PSI at idle and very stable across the rpm band, between 40 and 60 psi hot.
The bolts on the Melling pumps as they come from the factory may not be tightened as should so I would check that.I also removed the aluminum tag with the model code.