Thread: FE vs Coyote
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

With my idea of a street version, insane power (more than 400 HP) doesn't make sense for me. A really well done FE, especially a nice aluminum Pond, would be really sweet especially if I was doing an S/C or pure competition. But the cost and unused potential doesn't fit with my vision and budget.

And I have heard Coyotes really roar when you step on them. Someone had a '12 Mustang Cobra ripping up and down my street for a couple of weeks. (then suddenly nothing lol). I was at the FFR Spring get together one year and I remember a dark blue MK IV with a Coyote in the engine bay. What the owner did was basically hide all the wiring so it was a very clean look. I thought that setup looked really nice - especially when compared to the 4.6 mod motors and the 302s pulled out of old Mustangs.

However, I do agree that when you look at a well done replica and open the hood and not see a traditional motor under there it is a disappointment. That is why if I do a street 427, the 390 FE is so appealing. And the costs seem to be somewhat competative across the board - stock Coyote, mild 390, mild SBF. They all come out in the $6k - $8k range.

The biggest drawback I see with the Coyote is that most of the kit manufacturers haven't quite figured out how to make it fit. I hear stories on FFR about trying to get headers fitting, how the foot boxes are smaller, and that you basically need a shoehorn to get them in.