Thread: running rich
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Have you looked at my comparison spreadsheet in an earlier thread? There are a lot of variables In there. Everything I've heard about Inglese is that he usually will get you pretty close, jet wise, if he baselines the carbs for you.
How does the car run through the throttle range driving down the road? I assume you are adjusting the idle screws by ear? If the jets are too big, the motor will still have a "best" setting & will still run rich. I suggest you buy a set of pin drills from McMaster Carr & work your way up from about 60. Solder them closed & drill one step at a time. Once you find the right size you can buy a new set... Or just leave them.
I went through the whole process with my carbs from a stock setting. You need to use your own logic to get where you need to be. The more you read online the more confusing & conflicting information you seen to get. Inglese wrote a piece online which has some useful information but, more often than not, it was confusing. Start from the beginning. You you have the right sleeve size? Does the idle jet & holder seem about the right size? The one thing about these carbs is that they don't work if something is 1 size off. When I was changing out main jets I went up two sizes because I had a stumble & I though I was too small. I still had a stumble. I said WTF & put the size between in & it was gone. It's a game of patience with a methodical mind that will get you there. Isn't that was life is about?

Last edited by *13*; 04-17-2013 at 03:21 AM..