View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD, other is 67 Mustang GTA 390 Convertible w/air,
Send a message via Skype™ to fostereast
Not Ranked     
Default FE or Coyote

FE: It's very difficult to identify a 390 from a 427, when it's put together and in an engine bay. If you use Aluminum heads and an Aluminum intake, it's not that heavy. The FE is a great engine with lots of history. If you put together an FE with around 350 HP or so, even a 2" under car exhaust will be just about big enough.

Coyote: It will probably look out of place unless you use a FFR kit. I also don't like the idea of needing a computer in a car like an old Mustang or Cobra replica.

My opinion: most guys focus so much on HP that the cars are not very fun to drive as daily drivers. I just helped a shop with some details on a 427 they were building and all the owner wanted was 600 HP for his Cobra replica, no consideration for how he was going to use the car, streetability or any of the normal factors used to build up an engine. A well built modest FE engine regardless of CID will make the car go faster than any of us need to go on the street. Under car exhaust means nobody will ever burn their legs getting in or out of your car. I like the look of the 427 street car w/no hood scoop, no roll bar and no side exhaust the best, I'd even opt for wire wheels to complete the look of yesteryear.

If possible maybe you can find a group of guys in your neck of the woods and go for some rides and see what seems closest to your expectations.