View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: StreetBeasts, 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Paint Prep - Sanding

HI Guys!

Very excited to be working toward a mid summer completion with the cobra. I'm wondering if I could get some feedback from some members or professionals with paint experience.

I have a streetbeast kit - which means the fiberglass is very structural, heavey, and thick - and the gelcoat finish is very, well, ... lets just say inconsistent.

I'm starting to do the initial prep sanding. This will be followed by a Dupont system epoxy sealer, several coats of build primer as needed, another seal epoxy, color then clear.

My principal question is should I be sanding with a DA or with sanding blocks? I prefer the DA because it's quicker and a bit less labour intensive, however I'm concerned to over use the DA because they have some tendencies to make small waves larger and small low spots deeper. (using a 6" disk)
Is it OK to use a DA and only touch sand with blocks? I purchased a set of Durablocks just in case in order to use the large long blocks, however the car is so full of curves it's sometimes difficult to see how these will be helpful.

Anyhow, any replies and advice well accepted. Thanks!