View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: StreetBeasts, 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill37341 View Post
Redeye- There's a reason people pay $10-15k to have their cars painted. MOST of the money is spent on bodywork. But you can do it. I've been doing bodywork ( as a hobbyist) since '67 and my current car took me 4 months to get right- and the body was better than most when I started. Clean the car with lacquer thinner at least 4 times. Use 120 grit on the DA just to break the glaze then lay on a coat of high build primer like Feather fill G2. Use the long block to get a feel for the amount of work needed. Harbor Freight has a nice 17" block for about $20, and it is very flexible and will follow the curves better than a stiffer one. Expect to use a gallon or 2 of filler, and a couple gallons of the high build primer. Remember- you can't beat out dents and high places in fiberglass- you must grind or fill them .I hope this isn't a discouraging post, but expect to spend a LOT of time on bodywork- It will be the most rewarding part of the build. Remember-you CAN do it. Good luck, Bill
Hi Bill, et all,

Thank you for the direction and words of encouragement. I think the main idea I'm gathering is to NOT over use the DA or else risk major problems... right?

Thanks guys!