Thread: running rich
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

My KC482 runs rich according to A/F ratio meter. between 11.5 (idlle) and 12.6 most of the rpm range. But the plugs look good, light brown. So the A/F meter is not so precise, at least on these engines.

Idle screws are 1,5 turn out specially to prevent popping from the exhaust.
I am running 21º initial and 38º max. Have made myself a special larger stop bush which is oval, otherwise it will not fit into the distributor placement for it.
I have 65 idle jets with 100 idle holder. tried 120 . ran leaner (around 13 A/F) but transition was not as smooth. Maybe 110 would be an option to try.
Main is 155 with a self made emulsion tube, F11 also ran good. Important is to have a small air jet, I use 120,(carb comes with 210) in order not to lean out on WOT.
Chokes are 40mm , 37mm were impossible to tune well on mine.

Pump bypass is 00 now, and will check if a .35 bypass will do away with the black cloud my friends tell me I shoot out the exhaust when accelerating hard.
Engine runs smooth, transition is spotless.

EFI will give you better mileage, but the instant response of the Webers will not be there.

And I just do not want electronics in my Cobra.