View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

A few other sanding aids to consider: A swimming pool float can be cut to various lengths and works well for sanding inside corners like at the top where the fenders sweep into the main body. I have what I remember to be a 17 inch board sander but for the doors and the front fender sides I wanted something a little longer. I bought the straightest piece of 2x2 by 4 ft poplar at Lowes I could find. I used one of their levels to check it by. I cut it to the length I wanted (about the length of the door) and marked the absolute straightest and flattest side on it for fastening self-adhesive sandpaper to. Using it in a criss-cross fashion really straightened out the sides. A few replica bodies (FFR anyway) do not have flat sides, instead having a gental curve, so they would not need such a long board for sanding. A variety of short pieces of rubber hoses in various sizes work for tight inside corners such as where the fender flares meet the body. For sculpting the rolled cockpit edges I experimented with several self-made contraptions. The one that worked best was to use a whole saw of proper radius to drill a hole in a piece of 2x4 which I then cut in half to end up with a half circle. I used it to both screed my filler on the rolled edge and then I used it to hold SA sandpaper and sand the radius uniform.