View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Eggshells!

Also, dont miss an important step with the Streetbeast. They used a chopper gun to lay up that body, and they typically didn't do a very good job. They did not roll it out. Any, and I repeat any, of the tight/sharp corners on the body may not have anything substantial behind them. I suppose the flat areas could have issues, too, but it's less likely. Basically, what happens is the gelcoat gets sprayed on and forms an eggshell-like layer. When they spray the glass/resin mix (high resin content), small cavities form behind the gelcoatwith no resin or glass behind it. This leaves a brittle shell that can fracture easily when bumped... and some are not small at all.

My brother has had two of their Speedster kits, and this was a serious problem on both. You need to go around the whole body with a sharp hammer to find and fill these imperfections before they show up in the freshly finished body. It is scary work! Door edges and casings, as well as fender-flairs and lights are notorious problem areas.

Hopefully, yours isn't too bad... good luck!

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear