View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I equipped SPO 1872 with a Lakewood bellhousing, fit to a 351 Windsor, a TKO 3550 and a Centerforce clutch. As delivered, the transmission resisted going from first to second, at first slightly, then gradually becoming more of a factor. I excused the lag as normal until the transmission had some wear. At roughly 18,000 miles the throwout bearing exploded.

The clutch was serviced by a well-respected shop in town. The owner has worked with Lakewood and Quicktime bellhousings for many years, mostly with off-road competition vehicles. He took his time and gave the customary careful attention to refitting the Lakewood. He had it dialed in perfectly.

The clutch worked beautifully, the transmission shifted well. The throwout bearing exploded after fifty miles. Here is the lesson I took from this surprise: Let whomever you trust to maintain the car select the bellhousing he judges best fits the engine and transmission you want. If you do your own work, problem solved. Otherwise, you risk being burdened by a combination that resists solution, even in the best of hands.