View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
I was installing the diff yesterday, when I notice what looked like two vents on the Kirkham Auburn 3.42 rear diff.

The first comes out of the upper body of the diff housing with the rubber tube coming out of it. This I assume is the primary differential vent. Which I connected to the breather that is mounted in the boot (rear trunk).
Later when I was cleaning up I remembered that I had retrospectively ordered Kirkham's upgraded diff vent, which has stainless steel lines... I'll have to go back & swap out the rubber one

The second, just above the filler bolt on the rear punkin casing... has me a little confused... what is it & what is it for? what do I need to do with it?

I'm assuming it should be plugged or also vented to a breather otherwise wont it splash grease & oil everywhere under some spirited driving as things heat up?
My understanding is that the port on top of the diff is for an diff cooler and should be blocked off if you aren't planning to run one.

The primary vent is the one that comes off of the pumpkin cover and probably has some mesh, etc on the inside to keep fluid from splashing out of the vent.

Can anyone confirm which is right?

EDIT: By the way, Kirkham says to run 90w gear oil with no friction modifier.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)

Last edited by dcdoug; 05-08-2013 at 09:29 AM..