View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danr55 View Post
Let's see if I understand this correctly: A guy you know has a motor that has been sitting for 20 to30 years, he says it's a 427 side oiler that was raced hard in a roadster before it was dumped. He's asking $6500 for it as is, sight unseen? Is that about right? You have no way of knowing if the block and/or the heads are cracked, if one or more of the cylinder skirts is chipped or broken, a bearing spun, or any number of other failures that were typical of these engines when they were pushed too hard. Sounds like a gamble. Can you afford to lose the $6500 if you're wrong? Oh, I ran into a guy a few months ago who had a 427 that had a cracked block that was "stitched" back together. I had to investigate the process before turning that one down.
Ha, sounds close to right. I can have somone look at it for me, inspect the outside, take some pictures, verify numbers etc. That's about it though. He might (MIGHT) be able to get the oil pan off to look at the bottom of the cyl's, but that's assuming the guy will let him....and that there is room to do it. The most assurance I was given was that it was running when pulled (I know, don't say it) and that it turns smoothly by hand.

If the block turned out to be garbage, how much salvageable $$$ would it be worth?