View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Had an issue with a concours '66 Corvette with original Kelsey Hays KO's. Car was purchased and shown for years before the original style redlines needed to be replaced due to dry rot.
The wheels were frozen to the hubs.
After soaking the assemblies with penetrating oil for a few days and beating the crap out of the spinners we bought the KO adapter that fits over the spinner and hung on it with a 4' breaker bar.........no dice.
Then we tried the appropriate heat and cold (liquid nitrogen) applications to no avail.
So I got creative...........we put a guy in the car to keep his foot on the brakes. Next, using a race jack with the rubber pad insert we carefully put pressure on the appropriate "OFF" direction ear of the spinner. We actually lifted one corner off the ground because it was so stubborn. And THEN hit the opposite ear with the BMF lead hammer...........it took a lot of shots but slowly it released and we were able to get all of them off.
The wheels/hubs never had antiseize applied to the parts.

The final option was not a pretty one if this did not work, ....ah, involving a die grinder, if you know what I mean.

Hope this helps.

Bret.