Thread: Pedal Power
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Fellow bikers

As mentioned I'm pleased to say I did manage the 1 in 20 ride without falling over or stopping.

We actually left from the Goodlife gym carpark in Wantirna so it was a 20 minute ride to the Basin first as a warm up, probably a good thing.

It was only some 6 kms to Sassafras and then a further 2kms up to Olinda but I could certianly feel I'd been working later that day whilst working on the cobra at Marty's shed and then into Sunday - a nice weary feeling.

Riding with my mate we discovered my cassette and drive set up is less hill oriented and I was cranking at a slower cadence than probably desirable.

Bike will be in for a service some time soon anyway so it may be time to replace these bits for something a bit more servicable in this use.

And the advice was correct, that ride back down the hill was pretty exhilarating though the narrow winding road combined with the other bike and car traffic was at times a bit of a worry with cars trying to overtake up and down hill. Even had a left hand drive Territory following us for a fair period before he could overtake with his lack of vision.

Though only doing about 45 - 55 kph coming down, you had to have your wits about you both for the traffic and to not hit some of the tight corners too fast. Certainly improved my appreciation of all these downhill stages I've been watching the professionals ride recently, and our road was dry too!!

My mate leading down said he came belting into one corner to find himself facing a car fully across double lines in his lane overtaking bikes heading up hill.

Somehow they missed each other thankfully but there are some impatient arsehole drivers out there that's for sure.

Just reading about NZ bringing in legislation requiring a 1.5m passing separation, that would be a blessing. I nearly got hit by one of our my own company's front lift trucks the other week, not always good out there.

Anyway stay upright and safe chasps - whatever you are steering!

Slo