View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Interesting thread.

I always enjoy remembering the lady SCCA Concours judge telling the other judge that Dick Smith's 198 was a replica because it didn't have Shelby's signature on the dash. Several of us witnessed that one.

Same Belmont Concours you were at, 3170, where they tried to park your ass next to the replicas.

The first thing I jump out of my pants (if you can imagine that) saying, usually loudly, is that it's arruminum. At Monterey last year, Brent and Tom Kirkham can attest to me coming close to thrashing a moron trying to sit on my rear fender while his friends were taking a picture...sucker actually tried to argue with me about it. Some folks think the brushed arruminum is a paint job of some sort...I tend to wonder what they drank or snorted.

The second thing is me going out of my way assplaining it's a reproduction...and then going even further out of my way to assplain how it began life in a MiG factory in Poland and on and on. Most folks who ask if it's real or fake know something about Shelby and the story of the Cobra (real or fake stories), but they tend to perk up more than a little when you give them the Kirkham story...a bit closer in time (end of the Cold War) for them to latch onto.

I find that original Cobra owners tend to have a great deal of patience...not sure I would. I get slightly bent when somebody asks if one of my watches is a fake.
Well anyone sitting or trying to sit on a fender needs an ass-kicking.

Not sure what it is called but there is a "paint" that gives that metal look but it flows just like water. You have to get the body perfect because the smallest imperfection will show up. Usually on high end cars. What does the brushed alloyluminum lol look like up close?