View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 3M Paint Defender - My Results

I like it! The end result is very good. I just had to do it twice!

I've had the can of it for a few weeks. I finally applied it yesterday, and again today. The first application wasn't acceptable, and the poor results were my fault. The good news: I let it cure overnight. I was able to peel it off in a single sheet. I did the second application today, and it turned out very nicely. Today's work is curing as I type this.

I applied the Defender to the leading surface of the rear fenders, where fender spats would be used. This is a small area and a vertical surface. After having to spray the fenders twice, I still have about 1/2 can of Defender.

The Process
1. Directions state 3 coats are needed. The 1st coat should be applied in a left to right, then right to left pattern. The 2nd coat should be applied in an up, then down pattern. The 3rd coat is applied in the left/right pattern.

I did all that, and had a bad case of runs on each fender. Those runs didn't begin to appear until 10 minutes after the spraying. They got progressively worse over the course of 1 hour. Here's why. As a COAT is applied, (let's use an up and down pattern), you will make one spray PASS from top to bottom. A pass will provide about 3" width of product. Before make the next PASS, count 6 seconds and then spray the next parallel pass. The waiting of 6 seconds between PASSES probably allows the product to begin stabilizing. I didn't wait the 6 seconds during my first application, and I probably put a little too much product on.

2. I modified the written procedures a bit when I started today's new application. Since my work area was vertical and narrow, I:
a. eliminated the left/right COAT. I did 3 COATS, but each COAT was the up/down pattern.
b. I counted closer to 8-10 seconds between PASSES.
c. Instructions say spray 6-8 inches from the surface. I was at least 8" away, and maybe a little more.

3. I removed the tape about 3 minutes or so after having finished the spraying. The edge line was sharp and undisturbed.

4. Instructions state cure time can be accelerated if you park the car in the sun, AFTER spraying and tape has been removed. I stayed in the garage with it. However, in about 4 minutes into curing I saw the slight beginning of a run on the first fender of today's work. I set up a single 500w quartz work light about 16" from the fender. The cure process began to speed up, and the beginning of the run almost totally disappeared. At least it didn't get larger. I'm not recommending the quarts light. It did work for me. I used it on both fenders today.

Now the endurance/protection test begins. The GY BB's have been brutal on my red paint.

David