View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 03:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Once upon a time, I think someone jacked up the ring install or got the hone job wrong on a build and contributed it to the piston design. As you know, there are lots of bench racers on the Internet, so the idea stuck. :-)
While I generally agree on it not being a huge deal, I will only pierce the oil ring groove on a race or performance package if it's the only way to satisfy other limitations - such as pulling the pin out of the bore or banging the counterweights on the pin boss. Or a checkbook limitation.

But if there is any other way I will avoid it. A narrower ring pack (.043-.043-3.0mm) coupled with reduced crevice volume can get you some good usable real estate up there (over .100") for modest cost and you end up with a nicer package as a result.

Consider the development budgets in the OE world and list the number of engines built with pin/ring groove intercepts.

That 5.315 rod ain't a bad deal either - it just never caught on with the bigger is better crowd. I do like the short CD for keeping the roll couple of the piston small - keep the ring pack squared to the bore and stable - don't need a long heavy piston since the working part of the skirt is all below the pin.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP