View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

I have been running the MT S/T's for about 2 years, sizes 255/60/15 and 275/60/15. They run true and stay in balance and I have had no problems with them in spite of about 20,000 miles of low and medium speed rallies. What I really like about them is the smooth breakaway. You can overpower them with throttle and drift them our as far as you like and still recover. These tires make you feel like your car just eats up curvy mountain roads. And when you go into a corner too fast, they give you a lot of warning and control as they start to slide (NEVER BACK OFF). They are also fine in wet weather, although I don't do too much of that.

The Toyo Proxy's I used to run were better braking tires and lasted a long time, not the best for corners. The Yokohama S/T's lasted a long time and were pretty good too but you can't get them anymore. Hoosier's autocross tires gave tremendous traction but would jerk the steering when you caught a road imperfection, especially at high speed. Goodrich TA's are lots of fun, if going sideways is your thing and you're a little crazy and you don't really need to stop anyway. I really miss the old Micky Thompson Comp bias ply tires. They gave great traction and performance and were cheap. However, they wore out so quickly you had to buy a new set every year.

So, the MT S/T's are a good choice. They are affordable tires (about $700 a set) and wear well if you can restrain the burnouts, doughnuts and drifts. I have not been able to lock in the right front to rear balance to maximize braking. But then that changes with the size of your passenger and the amount of fuel you are carrying, so I cannot really blame the tires. However, I would say that is their biggest drawback. I usually carry 2 or 3 cans of tire sealant but have not had to use any of them with the Micky's. The rears are about half gone and the fronts less than 1/4 after some pretty hard running so I can recommend these tires to guys who really drive their cars.

RS

Last edited by RallySnake; 12-30-2013 at 12:57 AM..